As we enter the year 2023, Denver continues to be a vibrant and family-friendly city with a plethora of activities to keep your kids entertained and engaged. There are lots of Denver Kids Activities that will be great for the whole family.
From outdoor adventures to educational experiences and everything in between, Denver offers a wide range of options that will delight children of all ages.
In this blog post, we present the top 10 best Denver kids activities for 2023. Get ready for a thrilling journey as we explore the exciting adventures awaiting your little ones!
Why Denver for My Kids Activities?
Denver is an excellent choice for kids’ activities due to its diverse range of family-friendly attractions and opportunities for adventure.
Here are some reasons why Denver stands out as a great destination for your kids’ activities:
Abundance of Outdoor Recreation
Denver’s proximity to the Rocky Mountains means you and your family can enjoy a wide array of outdoor activities. From hiking and biking to skiing and snowboarding, there are endless opportunities to explore nature and engage in exhilarating adventures.
Denver is home to several museums specifically designed for children. The Children’s Museum of Denver offers interactive exhibits and hands-on learning experiences, stimulating your kids’ creativity and imagination.
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science also provides educational and entertaining exhibits that cater to young minds.
The Denver Zoo is a favorite among families, offering an exciting and educational experience for children. With various animal exhibits, interactive encounters, and educational programs, your kids can learn about wildlife and conservation while enjoying a day filled with fun and exploration.
Parks and Playgrounds
Denver boasts numerous parks and playgrounds where children can run, play, and interact with other kids. City Park, Washington Park, and Cheesman Park are just a few examples of the beautiful outdoor spaces where your kids can enjoy picnics, play sports, and have memorable playtime experiences.
Family-Friendly Festivals and Events
Denver hosts a wide range of family-friendly festivals and events throughout the year. From the Denver Chalk Art Festival to the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival, there are numerous opportunities to immerse your children in cultural experiences, live performances, and interactive activities.
Denver offers plenty of educational opportunities beyond museums. The Denver Public Library system hosts regular storytimes, workshops, and engaging programs to foster a love for reading and learning in children of all ages.
Amusement Parks and Water Parks
If your kids love thrill rides and water slides, Denver has you covered. Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park offers a mix of roller coasters, water slides, and family-friendly attractions, providing hours of excitement and entertainment.
Denver’s blend of natural beauty, family-oriented museums, outdoor recreational opportunities, and a thriving cultural scene make it an ideal destination for kids’ activities.
The city’s commitment to providing engaging and educational experiences ensures that your children will have a memorable and enriching time during their visit to Denver.
7 Fun Facts About Denver
Here are seven fun facts about Denver:
- The Mile High City: Denver is often referred to as the “Mile High City” because its elevation is exactly one mile (5,280 feet) above sea level. This high altitude makes it the highest major city in the United States.
- Sunshine City: Denver boasts an impressive number of sunny days throughout the year. With an average of 300 days of sunshine annually, residents and visitors can enjoy plenty of outdoor activities and bask in the city’s bright and beautiful weather.
- Rocky Mountain Playground: Denver is located near the stunning Rocky Mountains, offering easy access to outdoor adventures. Whether you enjoy hiking, skiing, snowboarding, or simply taking in breathtaking mountain views, Denver serves as an excellent gateway to the Rockies.
- Craft Beer Capital: The city has a thriving craft beer scene and is often hailed as the “Craft Beer Capital of the United States.” With over 100 breweries in the metro area, beer enthusiasts can indulge in a wide variety of locally brewed beers and experience Denver’s vibrant craft beer culture.
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Located just outside of Denver, Red Rocks Amphitheatre is an iconic outdoor concert venue nestled between two 300-foot red sandstone rock formations. Known for its natural acoustics and breathtaking setting, it attracts renowned musicians and offers a memorable concert experience.
- Larimer Square: Denver’s historic Larimer Square is a charming block of Victorian buildings that dates back to the city’s founding days in the 1800s. It is home to numerous restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries, making it a popular destination for shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Denver International Airport: Denver is home to one of the largest and busiest airports in the world, Denver International Airport (DIA). Not only is it known for its size, but it also features unique and intriguing artwork, including the iconic “Mustang” statue, also known as “Bluecifer,” which has become a recognizable symbol of the airport.
Top 10 Best Denver Kids Activities For The Whole Family in 2023
1. Denver Zoo
A perennial favorite among families, the Denver Zoo is a must-visit destination.
Home to more than 4,000 animals, including elephants, lions, and giraffes, the zoo provides an opportunity for kids to learn about wildlife conservation while enjoying up-close encounters with their favorite animals.
2. Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Let your kids’ curiosity soar at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. With interactive exhibits, a planetarium, and IMAX theater, this museum offers a fascinating exploration of the natural world and scientific wonders.
From dinosaurs to outer space, there’s something to captivate every young mind.
3. Children’s Museum of Denver
Designed specifically for children, the Children’s Museum of Denver offers hands-on exhibits and activities that promote learning through play.
From the art studio to the outdoor adventure area, kids can engage in imaginative and educational experiences that stimulate their creativity and problem-solving skills.
4. Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park
For a day filled with thrills and excitement, head to Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park. With a variety of rides, including roller coasters, water slides, and a family-friendly area, this amusement park promises a fun-filled experience for kids of all ages.
5. Denver Botanic Gardens
Take a leisurely stroll through the Denver Botanic Gardens and let your children marvel at the beautiful landscapes and diverse plant species.
The Mordecai Children’s Garden within the Botanic Gardens offers interactive exhibits, a tree house, and a hands-on sensory garden, providing a delightful nature-inspired experience.
6. Denver Public Library
Encourage a love for reading and exploration at the Denver Public Library. In addition to a vast collection of children’s books, the library hosts engaging storytelling sessions, workshops, and special events throughout the year, making it a fantastic resource for both education and entertainment.
7. Downtown Aquarium
Transport your kids into an underwater wonderland at the Downtown Aquarium. From mesmerizing fish tanks to interactive exhibits, children can learn about marine life and even touch stingrays in the aquarium’s touch pool.
Don’t forget to catch a live mermaid show for a truly magical experience.
8. Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum
Calling all aspiring aviators and space enthusiasts! The Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum offers a fascinating collection of aircraft, space artifacts, and interactive exhibits that provide a hands-on learning experience. Kids can even sit in the cockpit of a real fighter jet!
9. Denver Art Museum
Ignite your child’s artistic side at the Denver Art Museum. With engaging exhibitions, interactive art installations, and family-friendly programs, the museum offers a unique opportunity for kids to explore various art forms and express their creativity.
10. City Park
End your Denver adventure with a visit to City Park, a sprawling urban park that offers a multitude of recreational opportunities.
Let your kids run free in the playground, enjoy a picnic by the lake, or rent bicycles to explore the park’s vast trails. Don’t forget to take in the breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains!
Denver is a treasure trove of experiences for children, offering a blend of educational, recreational, and awe-inspiring activities. Whether your kids are animal lovers, science enthusiasts, or nature enthusiasts, there’s something for everyone in the Mile High City.
By engaging in these top 10 best Denver kids activities in 2023, you can create lasting memories and provide your children with enriching experiences that will broaden their horizons and spark their curiosity.
So, pack your bags, gather the family, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in Denver!